If you are a subcontractor, it is likely you will want to enroll for the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS). This strategy requires the entry of a Self Assessment tax return,such as specifics of your CIS earnings and the total amount of tax deducted from the lender.

Though this initially appears to be a tricky means of calculating the tax owed, it is easy as soon as you get to grips with the fundamentals. We are going to cover the requirements you will need to understand, in addition to the way you can readily maintain a cis rebate refund in case you are owed one.


You will want to enroll as a subcontractor if you get income where tax was deducted under the CIS scheme. You will need your small business or trading name, your National Insurance number, the exceptional taxpayer reference number for your enterprise and your VAT registration number if appropriate.

Nearly all work you will execute as a subcontractor comes under CIS, nevertheless there are a couple of exceptions in case your job involves only certain tasks. These include carpet matching, design and studying, and being located at a website but not following construction-related work,e.g. website centers. Unsure if your contract ‘sexempt?This manual has a extensive listing.


Registering for the CIS strategy will lead to tax being deducted from the paying contractor in the payments they make to you. CIS tax is generally taken out of your labor fees. Items like the Construction Industry Training Board levy, VAT, materials, consumable stores, plant leasing, and production or pre-fabricating substances should be paid to you with no CIS tax deduction.

When the company or trading name contributed to HMRC isn’t equal to the one offered to this builder, then HMRC will inform the contractor to subtract the greater speed of 30 percent. Failure to enroll as a subcontractor will also bring about the 30 percent CIS deduction rather than the normal rate of 20 percent.

On monthly basis, contractors may have to tell HMRC they’ve made no obligations or send them a yield which includes details of obligations and some other deductions withheld. They may also issue you with a tax deduction certification that has to be kept to check the tax you’ve had deducted under the CIS scheme.


As a self employed subcontractor, you’ll have to complete a Self Assessment tax return. With this return you want to declare all of your self explanatory expenses and income, and any tax you’ve had deducted under the CIS scheme. This can often cause a refund of overpaid tax.